We have decided to start homeschooling our children. It was not a light decision and we are excited for the new journey. I have begged my husband for years to homeschool my children but my husband was always against it. Finally after a teachers conference he decided that public school was no longer for our family. We currently have a 7th grader, 5th grader and 2nd grader. We are about to embark on something we have had to research. Here are a few of the things we are doing in order to get ready for our homeschool
1. We registered with the state:I filled on November 11 and was approved on November 12th. We are legal and this is the first step we took for the homeschool. We currently live in North Carolina.
2. We found our curriculum! We realized that there are a million different ways to homeschool. I will not lie, I love something that is ready for me to just use. I was feeling a little lost when it came to what we were going to teach our babies. I want to teach them the best. I do not want to let them down. We found Time4Learning. This program seems to have a very good foundation for our family to get started. We have decided that we will supplement a few other things in order to make sure they learn everything they can.
3. We are setting up a classroomMy husband has been pricing laptops for the kids. They currently have laptops at school right now and we know they can take care of them. We have a table set up for now but plan on buying them their own desk for them to use as a school desk. We have started to decorate the walls in order to have a more traditional classroom feel. This is in our spare bedroom where we can “go” to school and then “come” home each day. This is my favorite so far:
iframe style=”width:120px;height:240px;” marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ src=”//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=qf_sp_asin_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=confofamili0d-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=1604181672&asins=1604181672&linkId=TF4TLRJKYV3YYPBI&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true”>
4. We are using community resources!We have taken a family trip to the public library. This place is such a gem! In today’s day and age we sometimes forget these little places are here to help us. My kids had a great time getting to pick out books. My husband and I asked each child to pick a book that was non-fiction. They will be writing a summary ( for cody – 2nd grade), and book reports for Alexis ( 7th grader) and Brandon ( 5th grader).
5. We are learning to go with the flow!Homeschooling is supposed to be fun! Sometimes I can put a lot of pressure on myself to try and justify the reasons and decisions. Really it is because we feel it is the best decision for our family. We joined a co-op for our children to have field trips, meet new homeschool friends, and get out into the community and learn more!
I hope that if you homeschool you can give me some tips, advice, etc! I will keep a weekly update on how homeschooling is going for our family. It will help to keep me accountable but maybe help someone in the future if they wanted to homeschool.
Until next time,
This post does contain affiliate links. These help to keep my blog up to date and keep it oh so amazing! <3